Portland Oregon Landlord Legal Issues
ORS 90.255 allows for reciprocal attorney fees in Oregon Landlord/Tenant cases. This means the losing party in any lawsuit under the landlord/tenant act can be responsible for thousands of dollars in attorney fees and costs. Thus, it is important to follow not only Oregon landlord/tenant law but Portland statutes. Problems can be prevented as follows:
- Create and follow a non-discriminatory and consistent application process.
- Written rental agreement which comports to current Oregon and/or Portland law depending on your jurisdiction.
- The rental agreement should also include any required rules.
- Make sure the rental unit is habitable and otherwise in good condition upon renting the unit.
- Maintain the rental unit during the tenancy.
- Enforce all rules in a fair and non-discriminatory manner.
- Follow the Oregon and/or Portland statutes for all notices.
- Follow all Federal Accommodation laws.
- Return all deposits in accordance with Oregon law.
- Document everything in writing and/or photograph/video.
- Be professional.