2016 Changes Oregon Landlord / Tenant Law
The landlord tenant act changes annually. 2016 changes under the Oregon Landlord / Tenant act are outlined below:
Senate Bill 390, now law as of 1/1/16, addressed the following topics:
- Municipal fees and utilites in relation to tenants under ORS 90.315
- Fine assessments for knowingly renting an unsafe or illegal dwelling unit
- Renters insurance policies under ORS 90.222
- Damage caused due to domestic violence under ORS 90.325
- HOA & COA fees in relation to tenants under ORS 90.302
- Pet fees under ORS 90.302
- ORS 90.160 has been updated to clarify notices expire at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the notice period rather than at 12 midnight.
- Notices of restitution under ORS 105.159 and ORS 105.151
- Tenant’s failure to pay for damages in relation to utility fees, charges and deposits under ORS 90.412
- Application of funds received from tenants under ORS 90.220(9)(a)
- Emergency exits under ORS 90.100
- Damage due to acts of God ORS 90.453
- Avoiding waiver when accepting payments ORS 90.412
House Bill 4143 passed March 15, 2016. This prevents rental increases within the first year of a tenancy. It also requires a 90-day notice of rental increases.
Proposed Bills Only to Follow
House Bill 2573: Involves tenants and electrical charging stations for vehicles. Not passed as of 1/11/16.
House Bill 2689: Tenant’s deposits and carpet cleaning. Not passed as of 1/11/16.
House Bill 3494/2824: Prohibits requiring pets to be declawed or devocalized by landlord. Not passed as of 1/11/16
House Bill 3076: Requires landlords to test well water. Not passed as of 1/11/16
House Bill 3107: Security deposits in relation to service animals. Not passed as of 1/11/16